Wednesday, December 14, 2005

I have tremendous regard and respect for the United States

NR Narayana Murthy, The Infosys chairman and chief mentor to ASHA RAI,
The Economic Times WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 14, 2005
We live in a pluralistic society. Democracy is all about debate, points of view, pleasant disagreements. We have not been able to communicate. We have to work harder. We have to bring out our arguments in depth. At the end of the day, each person’s point of view is shaped by his or her context.
Just as I feel very passionately about encouraging the creation of high quality, high disposable income jobs, there are people who very legitimately feel that rural people have been left out. I have nothing against that point of view. However, it is very important for us to realise that we cannot play a zero-sum game. We have to improve the lot of the rural poor, there is no doubt about that at all. We have to improve factor conditions for the industrial sector to become even more dominant because that’s how we can create jobs.
Running a country, with diverse aspirations, with multiple divides is not easy. I have no illusions about my competencies. I had said 5/6 years ago, that perhaps, the only position that I may accept is that of the ambassador to the United States because that’s a country I have tremendous regard and respect for. I am equally comfortable with the academicians there, as I am with the corporate leaders. I understand that culture a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment