Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The characters trapped in the mall even express perplexity as to why they would congregate there

unemployednegativity Says: August 6, 2007 at 4:56 pm I do not have much by way of advice, I just wanted to commend you on a rather accurate picture of philosophy departments in the United States. I have hope that there is some room to navigate at the margins, small state universities and liberal arts colleges, but the big schools are entirely dominated by commentary. What puzzles me is that this ideal of commentary seems to have no future, in that it discourages bright students who want to “do” philosophy. I tried to write about this, albeit briefly
larvalsubjects Says: August 6, 2007 at 5:12 pm Thanks, UE. I’ve added your blog to the blogroll. In the brief glance I just made, your post on the figure of the zombie is particularly interesting. I’ve been thinking of this recently as well in the rather obvious form of a certain experience of contemporary labor as a subjective process in which one undergoes “zombification”. The remake of Dawn of the Dead is particularly interesting in this regard, as we have the zombies inexplicably congregating at the mall, as if to underline the dimension of consumer capitalism as a superegoic imperative. At one point the characters trapped in the mall even express perplexity as to why they would congregate there.

No comments:

Post a Comment